These are the Top 10 books in the library at the moment.
The library is in a boys’ secondary school and the Top 10 clearly reflects the teenage male demographic.
1. I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore.
This takes out the number one spot thanks largely to the release of the 2nd book in the series (see no. 4). Through word of mouth, the popularity of this series is spreading and the boys are scrambling to read the first book so they can move on in the series.
2. The Dead of the Night by John Marsden.
This is the second book in the Tomorrow series. Despite being first published in 1993, this book is consistently popular with teenagers.
3. People’s Republic by Robert Muchamore.
The first book in a new series of the Cherub franchise, this time introducing a new protagonist: the young Ryan Sharma.
4. The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore.
This is the second book in the Lorien Legacies series. This series is genius, and a winner with the boys. See my review here.
5. Department 19 by Will Hill.
Best book of the year. See my review here.
6. Tomorrow When the War Began by John Marsden.
Marsden really tapped into something in the teenage psyche with this series. The movie adaptation has renewed interest in this wonderful book.
7. Burning for Revenge by John Marsden.
Number 5 in the Tomorrow series.
8. Dark Fire by Chris d’Lacey.
The only fantasy book to make the Top 10, this is the fifth book in the Last Dragon Chronicles.
9. Just tricking by Andy Griffiths.
Thank you Year 7 for including some timeless Andy Griffiths’ fun in this list.
10. The Maze Runner by James Dashner.
A brilliant dystopian novel – the first in a trilogy. The second book The Scorch Trials is also extremely popular and the last book is eagerly anticipated by the boys.