There are obviously too many quotes to choose from, but these are among my favourites. Some will make you think, others will just bring a smile.
Hopefully they will all make you read the book.
1. “No offence, but I’d rather kiss the horse.”
Alex Rider in Point Blanc, Anthony Horowitz.
2. “I hope you’re pleased with yourselves. We could have all been killed – or worse, expelled.”
Hermione in Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. J. K. Rowling.
3. “If I win, I’m a prodigy. If I lose then I’m mad. That’s the way history is written.”
Artemis Fowl in Artemis Fowl, Eoin Colfer.
4. “People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Pooh in Winnie-the-Pooh, A.A. Milne.
5. “I’m wondering what to read next. I’ve finished all the children’s books.”
Matilda in Matilda, Roald Dahl
6. “I don’t go looking for trouble. Trouble usually finds me.”
Harry Potter, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, J. K. Rowling
7. “Sometimes you’re a little strange, Bella. Do you know that?”
Jacob, New Moon, Stephenie Meyer
8. “That’s what Hermione does. When in doubt, go to the library.”
Ron, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, J. K. Rowling
9. “A person’s a person, no matter how small.”
Horton, Horton Hears a Who!, Dr. Seuss
10. “Curiouser and curiouser.”
Alice, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass, Lewis Carroll
Special mention to the master of the one-liner Rick Riordan, with this gem from Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief:
“The entrance to the Underworld is in Los Angeles.”